Anyone who is lucky enough to have both children and an iPad will know what a great combination they make…
After exhaustive testing, here is my top 5 ipad apps for children
- Toca Hair Salon. The team at Toca Boca have got iPad games for children completely sewn up. Innovative, playful and delightful, from the quirky illustrative style to the intuitive game play, their games are some of the best around. It’s hard to choose a favourite but Hair Salon wins for me because it appeals to all ages, from 4 up to around 10.
- The Monster at the End of This Book. It’s Grover from Sesame Street and he’s very worried about the monster at the end of the book, so much so that he will try to stop you turning the pages. You probably won’t get hours and hours of use out of it but it’s very funny and engaging. Perfect for ages four to six.
- Tiny Bang Story (see screenshot). I’m not sure that strictly speaking this was created solely for children but my 10 year old loves this beautiful, immersive game. There are no instructions and you have to work out what to do. If you like clear game rules and direction then you may find this frustrating but I think the reason it appeals so much to children is because they aren’t yet in the adult mindset of rules and instructions.
- Monkey Preschool Lunchbox. For younger children, around two to five years, this is a cute, fun game where children have to count, recognise colours and play simple games. Get a game right and they can choose a virtual sticker and put it on their wall. Have never met I child who doesn’t like this game.
- Angry Birds. Unless you live on the moon, chances are you’ll be aware of this game. Equally fun whether you’re 5, 10 or, ahem, slightly older.